Back to News

Accidents abroad – what are your rights?

With the summer holidays still in full swing and millions of people going on holiday, it is safe to assume that suffering an accident whilst on holiday is the last thing on people’s minds.
However, this could happen and the consequences for you and your family could be wide and far-reaching.
There are a number of different places that you could be injured in an accident whilst on holiday abroad. For example:
•    In your hotel or apartment•    In the grounds of the hotel complex•    Using the hotel facilities such as a pool•    On an organised trip booked through your tour operator
If you are injured, through no fault of your own, while on a package holiday, you may be able to make a claim against the tour operator under the Package Travel Regulations. In these cases, the claim will be made at home in the UK, not the country where the accident happened. Specialist legal advice will be important to make sure that you get the best settlement possible.
However, if you booked your travel and hotel independently, these rules won’t apply. In addition, if you are injured in an accident, such as a fall while out shopping or in a restaurant, you will have to make a personal injury claim in the country where you were hurt.
In such cases, the rules on personal injury claims will almost certainly be different to those in the UK, so do ensure that you get the right legal advice from an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim. Call us today – 01302 320621 or email

Get in touch today