Back to News

Can you claim compensation if you get food poisoning abroad?

With the school holidays in full swing, many people are now preparing for their annual summer holiday abroad.
While food poisoning in the UK can be a horrible experience, if you are abroad and you become ill with food poisoning, it can be even more distressing, particularly if you need medical attention.
If you become ill with food poisoning on holiday, your holiday could be ruined, as symptoms can be particularly nasty. They can include diarrhoea, vomiting and severe stomach cramps, although they differ from person to person, they can be debilitating and may last for 7 to 14 days.
So what can you do about it?If you can prove that your food poisoning was caused by the hotel where you were staying, you may be able to claim compensation for your illness and for the loss of enjoyment of your holiday.
If you are still ill on your return to the UK, environmental health experts may decide to carry out tests to see whether you have been affected by any food-related bacteria. In this case, it may be easier to trace where the bug started if you were on an all-inclusive holiday and only ate in the hotel where you were staying.
Any compensation claim you make when back in the UK, if you have suffered from food poisoning abroad, will be made against the tour operator with whom you booked your holiday. They are under obligation to ensure that adequate standards in their hotels are maintained and that they will keep holidaymakers safe.
By contacting a personal injury solicitor who has experience in handling  holiday claims you can ensure that you obtain the best possible outcome for your claim. Call us today on 01302 320621.

Get in touch today