Back to News

Criminal injuries compensation guide

The Criminal Injuries Compensation scheme is funded by the government and is there to compensate victims of a violent crime.

The aim of the scheme is to provide financial support to victims where there is no other means of recovering compensation.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) decides the amount of the award; it is not determined by a court.

Even where the assailant is not known or has not been convicted of the assault, compensation may still be payable.

There is no need to wait for the outcome of any criminal trial. CICA will make a decision as soon as there is enough information.

What can I claim for?

  • Mental or physical injury after a violent crime
  • Sexual or physical abuse
  • Loss of earnings
  • Special expenses resulting from incapacity
  • Fatalities, including bereavement payments, and physical and/or financial dependency

PLEASE NOTE – all incidents must have been reported to the police otherwise CICA will not consider the application for compensation.

Time limits

Claims must be made under the scheme as soon as possible. For adults, this must be within TWO years of the incident, unless there are exceptional circumstances for the delay.

Where the victim is under 18 at the time of the incident, a parent or guardian can make the application on their behalf.

If the incident or abuse was reported to the police before the 18th birthday, claims can be made up to their 20th birthday. If it was not reported to the police at the time, applications can be made within TWO years of the police report being made.

Not sure if you can claim?

If you are unsure whether or not you will be able to claim, either for yourself or on behalf of a minor or vulnerable adult, call and speak to one of our friendly team. All calls are confidential. We will be more than happy to help – no obligation.

Injured outside UK

If you are a UK resident and were injured in a violent crime in another country,  you may be able to claim under a scheme operated by that particular country. You can contact the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate for help –

If you were injured in a terrorist attack abroad, you may be able to make a claim under the Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme – or for more information see




Get in touch today