Back to News

Criminal Injuries Compensation

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority – CICA, is a government funded organisation that was set up solely to compensate blameless victims of violent crime.

Being involved in an unprovoked attack can be very distressing for victims. And these innocent people don’t often realise that they can claim compensation for their injuries, even where their attacker is unknown.

If you are involved in a violent crime you must report the incident to the police as soon as possible. Generally, if you have not reported it the CICA will not make any award.

We can work on your behalf and help you to pursue a claim with the CICA. We will help ensure you recover the correct amount of compensation for your injuries.

The amounts awarded through the scheme differ to those made in civil claims. They are set by parliament and calculated by reference to a tariff of injuries.

In one recent case, Katrina Elsey, one of our personal injury lawyers, recovered over £190,000 compensation for a client who was the innocent victim of a crime of violence.

Our client had been enjoying a night in a bar when he was subjected to an unprovoked attack which left him with paraplegia, a collapsed lung and a fractured rib.

Making a claim through CICA

In all cases, it is very important that you begin the CICA process as soon as possible as the claims process can take time.

If you were an adult at the time of the incident you will have to submit an application within 2 years of it happening. If you were under 18 years old at the time then usually you have until two years after your 18th birthday to make the claim.

The scheme is often considered a final resort for victims to claim compensation. It is often used in circumstances where the assailant cannot be traced or is unlikely to have the financial means to be able to pay the victim compensation for their injuries.

Do you need help claiming compensation?

If you have been injured in an unprovoked attack or have been the victim of any kind of assault or physical or sexual abuse, we can advise on the best route for you to recover compensation. Call 01302 320621 or email and we will call you back at a convenient time.


Get in touch today