Back to News

Holiday nightmare for pensioners in food poisoning ordeal

A retired couple from Bristol were left so ill they had to remain in bed just days into their two-week holiday in Fuerteventura. Mr and Mrs Fossey claim that the hotel is responsible for the bout of gastroenteritis they suffered while staying at the popular Canary Island holiday destination.
Both Mr and Mrs Fossey suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting, abdominal cramps and a fever only two days into their stay at the ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort in 2013.
They were staying all-inclusive at the hotel, which meant that they ate only at the hotel during their stay. The couple commented on the hotel’s poor food hygiene practices saying that food was left uncovered for long periods and was served lukewarm, not hot.
For two days, they were too ill to leave their room, after which they were examined by the resort doctor. He diagnosed gastroenteritis and gave them medication to stop them from becoming dehydrated.
This was not the first time that the couple had stayed at the hotel. In fact, they had spent two wonderful weeks there in 2012 and had been looking forward to returning. However, their holiday did not go to plan, and they were unable to enjoy it, because of their illness.
The couple are now pursuing a personal injury compensation claim against holiday giant Thomson.
If you or one of your family has suffered from food poisoning while on holiday, contact us to find out whether you can make a claim for compensation, not only for your illness but additionally for the loss of your holiday.
Call 01302 320621 or email info@athertongodfrey.co.uk

Get in touch today