Joseph has practiced within the Dispute Resolution arena for over 4 years with a focus on commercial litigation in a broad range of sectors. Because of his experience, Joseph is also often engaged, along with the firm’s commercial contract team, to assist with reviewing liability in commercial contracts and provide advice on the validity of a range of commercial clauses.
His focus remains primarily on commercial litigation matters, including commercial property litigation, with a particular emphasis on the construction industry. Outside of the commercial arena, Joseph also takes instructions in Chancery matters as well as a broad range of general litigation.
Joseph’s experience ranges from conducting complex multi-track litigation within specialists lists, such as the Technology and Construction Court and Business and Property Courts, to undertaking advocacy within the County Court.
As a member of the firm’s advocacy team Joseph has acted for clients at a broad range of interim and case management hearings as well as Fast Track trials. He is frequently praised by clients, colleagues and his opponents for his attention to detail and ability to get to the root issues in a case. Joseph has also been instructed by other solicitor firms outside South Yorkshire to undertake advocacy work on their behalf.
Areas of Expertise
- Construction disputes for sub-contractors and national / regional housing developers;
- Disputes arising under bespoke sale of goods and installation of bespoke machinery in the engineering and manufacturing industry;
- Commercial contract litigation;
- Breach of directors’ duties / Unfair prejudice and Derivatives claims; and
- Actions brought on behalf of company shareholders.
Commercial Property Litigation
- Forfeiture, possession and matters relating to recovery of rent;
- Dilapidations claims; and
- General Disputes arising under the terms of commercial leases/licences.
- Claims relating to Constructing Trusts/Trusts of Land and Proprietary Estoppel (‘TLATA’ Claims);
- Partnership Disputes;
- Claims against trustees for breach of duty or misappropriation; and
- Winding Up/Bankruptcy actions.
- Acting for consumers in connection with defective services/sale of goods matters;
- General debt collection; and
- Nuisance/Boundary disputes.
Recent Work Examples
- Acting for a sub-contractor engaged by a national construction firm to recover money owed, but not paid, owing to terms contained within a bespoke contractual amendment that conflicted with the standard JCT terms relating to payment applications and pay-less notices.
- Successfully recovering damages for a bespoke metal fabricator by way of a contribution claim against a supplier after Joseph’s client had to pay considerable damages to a sub-contractor.
- Assisting in obtaining a reduction of over £100,000.00 for a client who was ordered to pay costs in a Supreme Court case.
- Representing an international exporter of used commercial vehicles in connection with a sale of goods dispute which included allegations of collusion and misrepresentation.
- Obtaining a declaration that a constructive trust existed in connection with property assets belonging to one partner which were alleged to form part of a partnerships wider collective assets.
- Recovering damages for a business partner when his former associate had forced him out of the partnership and failed to appropriately account for profits in the partnership.
Outside of work Joseph is very active and enjoys climbing, skiing and running. Joseph also has a working Labrador who he spends a lot of time (sometimes with limited success) training and participating in field sports.