Whatever type of enquiry you have, you are welcome to contact us to discuss the matter. We will not charge you for taking initial information to assess whether we can help. Please contact Lyn Shepherd, our client services assistant, who will be pleased to help you.
These charges relate to providing advice and representation to employers in relation to defending unfair or wrongful dismissal claims brought before the Employment Tribunal by an employee.
We charge on average between £5,000 to £7,500 plus VAT for this work.
This estimate is based on recent instructions and is intended to give you some indication of costs. The actual cost to you will depend on a number of factors that we will discuss with you if you decide to instruct us.
Our charges are either:
Based on our hourly charging rates of between £111 and £200 per hour, depending on who is dealing with your case.
b) Fixed fees
Where we are able to offer fixed fees, these rates are approximately:
• £125 to £200 plus VAT for an initial consultation to review paperwork, take instructions and advise you upon your position
• £300 to £500 for dealing with an ACAS conciliation
• £300 to £500 for preparing Tribunal papers and a response to the proceedings
• £1,250 to £2,500 for progressing the case to a final hearing
• £500 to £750 for dealing with the final hearing
Additional costs you may have to pay
There may be other costs on top of our fees called disbursements. These are fees and charges that we will need to pay on your behalf as part of the process, such as barrister’s fees and expert fees.
Any additional fees will be discussed with you before they are incurred so that you have the opportunity to approve the expenditure. The cost of disbursements will vary on a case by case basis.
In normal cases the Employment Tribunal rules are that each party must bear their own legal costs, so there is only a small risk that you would have to pay any legal costs to the opposing party if you are not successful in defending the claim. If this situation did arise at any time during the claim, we would advise you and discuss the matter with you.
Who will be doing the work?
We understand the commercial urgency involved in dealing with employment matters. The work we will carry out will involve:
• Ascertaining the position regarding your case
• Liaising with ACAS during a pre-claim conciliation if you would like us to do that
• Filing documentation the employee and others in an effort to resolve matters
• Representation at the hearing
Please contact us if you would like to discuss defending an employment tribunal claim for unfair dismissal.