Back to News

Worker dragged into unguarded machine

Cope Engineering (Radcliffe) Ltd was found guilty of breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974), relating to the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. As a result of this breach, an employee received serious injuries and was off work for nearly two months.
Peter Wilson, aged 58, was going about his usual duties at the engineering firm. He reached across a machine to make an adjustment when the overalls he was wearing became caught on a screw situated on a rotating part of the machine. The cylinder, which was three metres long, pulled him into the machine and caused injuries to his knee and his back, and also caused a laceration to his arm that needed 12 stitches.
A colleague working nearby saw what was happening and quickly pushed the emergency isolation switch for the machine. His swift action stopped Mr Wilson’s injuries from being more serious than they were.Working in a factory carries significantly higher risks than many other jobs. It is important, therefore, that employers in these high-risk industries take their health and safety responsibilities seriously.
This accident demonstrated that:
The clothing worn by Cope Engineering employees was not suitable for interaction with the machines they were using.The speed of the machines should be reduced while adjustments are being made by employees.Screws should not be sticking out from the rotating cylinders.
If Cope Engineering had conducted a proper assessment of the risks involved in this working practice, it could have identified these risks and removed them. And it could have prevented Mr Wilson’s injuries.
When the case went to court, Cope Engineering pleaded guilty to the breach. The firm was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay more than £3,700 in court costs.
In addition to the fines imposed on Cope Engineering, Mr Wilson also has a separate claim for compensation to reflect the pain, suffering and loss of amenity caused by the injuries, as well as actual financial losses incurred. A specialist personal injury firm such as Atherton Godfrey can manage such a claim on behalf of the claimant.If you or a member of your family has been injured following an accident at work, you should contact a specialist personal injury solicitor for advice on making a claim for compensation. Call 01302 320621 or email and we will call you back.

Get in touch today